The wifey and I had a couple of days off this week, so I decided to make this for brunch.. Eggs Benedict!
I read that Anthony Bourdain said that if it’s your first time trying to make Hollandaise sauce, you’re going to f*** it up.. and it’s true! It was 3rd time lucky for me.. What a victory! Look at that oh-so-glorious golden yellow ooze of goodness!
- 2 English muffins (this time I used 4 thick slices from a multi-grain farmer’s loaf instead)
- 4 slices of honey baked ham
- 1 cup blanched baby spinach (drained dry)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbps of melted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp hot water
- salt to taste
- Refer to Gordon Ramsay on Youtube on making perfect poached eggs.
- Carefully poke a serrated knife into the sides of the English muffins, working your way all the way around the muffin to split them in half. Toast until lightly browned.
- Start the Hollandaise sauce as soon as you start poaching the eggs. Setup a double boiler by placing a heatproof bowl that sits on the rim of a pot, then add 1/2″ of water to the pot before covering it with the bowl. The bottom of the bowl should not be touching the water.
- Add the egg yolk and butter into the bowl and turn on the heat to medium. Whisk together until there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth.
- Then slowly add the 2 tbsp of hot water while whisking constantly. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and creamy (about the consistency of thin gravy). Do not overcook it or it will get lumpy.
- Use a towel or oven mitt to remove the bowl from the pot. Add lemon juice, taste and adjust seasonings to taste. The Hollandaise Sauce needs to be used immediately or it will clump. If you need to hold it, you can periodically warm it in the double boiler while whisking it.
- To assemble your Eggs Benedict, put the toasted English Muffins on plates, top with a slice of ham, top with 1 – 2 spoons of blanched baby spinach, top with a poached egg, then finish with a generous blanket of Hollandaise Sauce. Garnish with paprika or basil tops and serve immediately.