We’ve been trying different places for our Palak Paneer and Butter Chicken cravings.. and as usual I thought, “Why not try it at home?”.. Here’s the Palak Paneer recipe.. I’ll follow with the Butter Chicken next..
- 500 gms Paneer (A type of Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 500gms Spinach (Fresh or Frozen) – if frozen, boil for a few minutes, remove from hot water and soak in ice to stop the cooking process
- 4 tbsps cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 green chilli, chopped fine
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- Cut the paneer into 2cm cubes.
- Heat 4 tbsps of oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds for about 10-15 sec. Add in the onions and fry till soft.
- Add the grated ginger, garlic and green chili and fry for a minute.
- Add the spinach, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Cook till the spinach is soft. Blend paste in the food processor to a smooth consistency.
- Add the yoghurt and paneer cubes to the spinach and mix to coat the pieces.
- Serve with Indian flat bread (Cahapati, Pratas etc)