After breakfast, Raspberry and I went for a look-see at the wet market.. after browsing for a bit, she suggested maybe we should try BBQ prawns for tonight’s dinner.. we found some nice fresh semi-large prawns.. only $6 for 8 pieces.. nice!!
Pair it up with some capsicum, eggplant, mushrooms and cheese.. oh yummy!
Mediterranean BBQ Prawns
- 8 cloves garlic
- 10 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8 medium-large prawns (trimmed & butterfly, shells on)
- 2-3 small eggplant (sliced thin)
- 6-8 fresh shiitake mushrooms/button mushrooms (cut off stem)
- 2 capsicum (cut in halves and de-seed)
- 1 tomato (sliced thin)
- mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper
- Chop up the ingredients in ‘Marinade’ into smaller bits and grind them up in a food processor, mix well with olive oil.
- Coat the eggplant slices & capsicum with some of the marinade and additional olive oil (if needed)
- Heat grill for 3-4 mins.
- Place eggplant and capsicum on hot grill and cook for 2-3 mins. Turn over and cook for another 2-3 mins. Put aside when done.
- Put some butter into the cavity of the mushrooms and top up with mozzarella cheese.
- Put into pre-heated oven at 180C for 5 mins till cheese has melted.
- Clean prawns and butterfly them while keeping the shells on.
- Stuff the marinade into the prawns and coat liberally.
- Place butterfly prawns on grill with the flesh faced down.
- Cook for 1-2 mins. Turn over and cook for another 1-2 mins till prawns turn a reddish orange colour.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 3-4 mins.
- Stack the eggplant slices onto a plate. Garnish with capsicum, mushrooms and tomato. Finally place the prawns onto the eggplant.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and pair with a yummy white wine. In our case, it was a Semillon Sauvignon Blanc from South Australia.
Look at that bright orange and green.. isn’t it enticing?